Each Monday’s Geek Roundup will include what I found interesting news from the weekend. I cherish my weekends. Therefore will not be posting a daily roundup on Saturday or Sunday.
- I posted last week that Blizzard shutdown an illegal free to play server of Vanilla WoW. This great article by Geeks World Wide gives some insight to why MMO nostaglia is a thing.
- Speaking of WoW, Blizzard announced today that the next expansion, Legion, drops on August 30th.
- The New York Times ran a great article this weekend on Minecraft. My kids still play Minecraft and have fond memories of it. The article (it’s very long) helps define how the next generation of gamers is being shaped. My favorite quote: “It’s more like a destination, a technical tool, a cultural scene, or all three put together.”
- JJ Abrams dropped a bombshell this weekend. I will not quote it for spoilers in case you haven’t seen The Force Awakens. He later retracted and clarified the statement, but it fuels the fan theory fires.
- Ninjas in Pyjamas won the DreamHack Masters Malmo this weekend, a very popular eSports tournament for the game Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Before you roll your eyes, the top team won $100,000. I’ll be posted about eSports in the next few months to give some perspective to this.
- And finally, I’m sure most of the world has seen this (18 million views as of today) but I have to link this prank two brothers played on there drugged up sister.